Friday, April 13, 2012

Spring

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while.   I have been busy busy busy!  I feel like everyday there has been a funny farm story and I just haven't had a chance to jump on the computer.
I harvested the last few beets out of the Winter garden on Sunday.  The garden is tilled and ready to go for Spring.  Just planting the usual suspects this year, nothing fancy.  Stella is excited about planting her sunflowers!  I never seem to have luck with tomatoes.  This year, they are in pots up against the house so I can keep a close eye on them.  The garden is just too dry, windy, and sunny for them, I think.
All the piglets are gone except the last boar we are raising for our freezer.  They were some funny little critters!  I don't know how many times they got out of their yard and I had to chase the little buggers around.  Stella adored them.  Everyday, "Mommy, I wanna hold baby piggies."  and "Mommy, go see baby piggies."  If you ask her what we plan to do with the piggies, she says "Eat them!"  She gets it.
We plan to breed her in the next week or two to have July babies.  I have buyers ready to put down deposits on the next litter as soon as she is bred.  James was a little hesitant about this pig business, but he believes me now.  Tamworths are a tough breed to find.  We got calls from NC, SC, VA, and Ga.  When they all sold in 48 hours, James said, "Maybe we should buy a second sow!"  We will when we find the right one.
We are trying to get a couple hens to sit on eggs right now.  I'd like to hatch about 25 for the freezer this Summer.  They aren't all broody so we are having trouble keeping them on the eggs.  Maybe once it warms back up next week.
We are looking for a calf right now.  Another family wants to go in on one with us.  I think we will end up going to an auction for one, I just don't know enough about cows to feel confident at an auction. 
We finally finished fixing up the old farm house.  A friend of ours is renting it beginning on 1 May.  It will be nice having someone around during the day while James is at work. With the two girls, I often need a hand outside like chasing those damned piggies around!  I think the farm life will be good for him too!

Enjoy the pics!

1 comment:

  1. I see Stella finally got to touch Tanya. Watch out one day you will come home and find Tanya in the house with Stella and Skylar. Probably Henry, Rowen and Remus too.

    ReplyDelete