Friday, February 3, 2012

Preparing for Tonya's Birth

Tonya is due in 10 days.  We expect her to deliver 10-12 piglets, hopefully all healthy and alive.  Due to three weeks of on and off rain, her pen is a wreck.  She has also knocked down most of her lean-to and pulled down most of the chicken wire from scratching her ass on the fence.  The chicken wire runs along the lower half of the fence so the babies can't slip through the cattle fencing.
Today was like a Spring day, as every other day seems to be right now.  James and I mended all the chicken wire, straightened out the lean-to, and planned where we will build a run for everyone.  Next week I will buy 8 bails of straw to stack around the lean-to and spread out for some bedding.  This Winter has been so mild, I really worry that we are going to get an ice storm near the due date.  All I can do is insulate her house as much as possible and hope for the best.


About two weeks ago I told James I was worried that she may not be bred.  In the last few days, her size has doubled and her milk has come in.  Yes, she is definitely bred and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment