Friday, April 29, 2011

Not a good morning on the farm

Spring is here and the foxes are back in full force.  We lost three chickens last night...  Queenie was my oldest rooster, a docile silkie bantam dissappeared two nights ago.  I should have locked the door last night.  A Mary and Red Sonja are gone.  All of my hens that look alike are Marys.  I have mary Agnes, Mary Magdalene, Mary Katherine, and so on.  Red Sonja was my favorite chicken.  This Rhoade Island Red was the type of hen that would jump up in your lap to get some love.  She would stand there and let Stella walk up and pet her.
I let Sonja and the rest down.
My two Pyrenees are great watch dogs, but they are not fast.  This is why we need a small dog, Corgi or Terrier on the farm.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww... so sad! I'm sorry. I have a package for you! Just need to get to the post office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad that the foxes are back. But it is spring time and they want to feed their little ones. I am especially sad about Sonja. She was such a sweet chicken. I will miss her. I guess it is back to locking up the hen house at night. Will see you in several weeks. Looking forward to swinging while Stella SLIDES.

    ReplyDelete