Friday, January 21, 2011

Is Spring here yet?

I love wintertime.  The trees are beautiful when they lose their leaves and sleeping through the cold days of Winter.  Apple and peach trees have those long, undulating limbs.  The only green I can see is the magnolia across the road and some pine trees.  Winter can be a tough time of year having to fight the weather each day, but it doesn't make me like it any less.
Then the day comes when the best part of Winter is planning for Spring!!  That day came yesterday for James and me.  I really started thinking about it a few weeks ago when some little green lemons started to emerge on my Meyer lemon tree.  Up til now, I have only grown house plants and carnivorous plants in my sunroom except for the lemon tree.  I have had it for about 18 months and these are the first lemons!
James is going out to scoop poop today, start tilling up the gardens, mix the compost in.  This will wake up the dormant soil a little and get some oxygen flowing under the surface.  He will also get all the nitrogen rich chicken poop out of their house for the garden as well.  Pig poop is rich in phosphate and we need to clean their pen out too, but we will save that for another day.  We still have plenty of time while Spring is still two months away...

2 comments:

  1. How is the garlic doing? Where have you decided to put the garden this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is when we get the most snow here in Colorado...........ugh.

    ReplyDelete